Tuesday, April 1, 2008

MY generation.

I am 18 years old.
If anyone would've told me in May 2006, when I was 16, how much my world would change I never would have believed them.

I never would believe that I know multiple girls 18 or younger that are pregnant. I never would believe that I know girls who have had abortions. I never would believe that I know people with STD's. I never would believe that I know girls who had and have struggled with eating disorders. I never would believe that I know guys that take steroids. I never would believe that I know people who are gay, straight, and bi. I never would believe that I would know drug dealers. I never would believe that I would know people who smoke pot all day. I never would believe that I would know people who drink every night. I never would believe that I know people who do herione, coicane, ecstasy, and acid on a regular basis. I never would believe that I know people who have been in and out of jail. I never would believe that I know people who have beaten other people up so bad that they put them into the hospital. I never would believe that I know people who have tried to commit sucidie. I never would believe that I know people who have cut and harmed themselves. I never would believe that I know people who have overdosed. I never would believe that I know people who have commited armed robbery. I never would believe that I know people who have had mutiple DUI's. I never would believe that I know 16 year old's that smoke 2 packs of camel lights a day. I never would believe that I would know "sold-out" christians who completely turn there backs on God.
I never would believe that I would be so numb to it all by the time I reached 18.

I hate the fact that I hear about someone I am friends with, or someone I used to be friends with, dealing with one of these issues and it hardly fazes me.

But THESE are the issues that MY generation faces on a DAILY BASIS.

I read somewhere that when parents send their kids to school, its like they are sending them into the middle of a war. They should be praying the whole time that there kids come back alive.
I couldn't agree more.
Everyone that I am talking about in the issues I just mentioned are between the ages of 16-23. MY generation is surrounded by this. And I know that I am not the only one feeling pressured and confused.

If MY generation is going to change the world like everyone says... then we need to be praying like we never have before. Because the world that we face at such a young age is a dark one that needs our God more then ever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

rachel! i had no clue you blogged and am so glad i have new blogs to read from such a lovely person.

what you just wrote about has been really laying heavy on my heart lately and i think it's incredible what you said.

isn't it so strange how everything that felt like it was so distant just two years ago even is our own reality with our own friends now?

it's a hard age. hard years. hard times.

but it's amazing how many opportunities god sends our way to show his love to people around us whose worlds are continuously collapsing.

can't wait to read more
much much love,

lindsey<3

Anonymous said...

i love this Rach!
this is incredibly true...

"Who would have ever thought"

that any of that crazy stuff would happen and how everything can change within a blnk of an eye!

Anonymous said...

Come on, now! God is opening up your eyes to see His children who are hurting and need to receive the unconditional love of Christ. Don't let yourself become numb to it...do something about it! God opens your eyes to see the things that He wants you to be an agent of change for.

Love you, girl!